From left to right: strawberry, nutella-strawberry, and lemon
Basic Crepe Recipe
Makes 12 crepes
6 oz milk
5 oz beer
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1. Put first four ingredients in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix for 30 second. Add the remaining ingredients and mix for another minute, or until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
2. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Re-whisk the batter just before you begin frying the crepes.
4. Preheat 10 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick spray.
5. With the skillet off the heat, pour 2 oz (1/4 cup) batter in the center of the skillet. Tip the skillet so that the entire bottom is covered.
6. Return to heat. When the top begins to dry and the bottom is beginning to brown, flip using a wooden or rubber flipper. The edges will begin to curl away from the pan at this time.
7. Fry the crepe for another 10 second. The crepe should be be very lightly brown.
8. Remove from skillet.
9. Add fillings, fold or wrap and serve -OR- stack with wax paper between layers for later use.
Nutritional data (per crepe, without any filling):
Sat fat: 0.5g
Possible fillings are endless:
A whole banana, sauteed in some butter
Nutella (or peanut butter) and banana
Nutella (or peanut butter) and strawberry
Any other fruits (fresh or canned pie filling) with whipped cream
Lemon juice and powder sugar
Greek yogurt and your favorite fruit
Your favorite jam/marmalade
Bacon and eggs (with a touch of cheese)
Ham and cheese
Cream cheese and smoked salmon
Shredded chicken and salsa
Thin-shaved beef with horseradish yogurt
Baked Eggs with Feta and Spinach
4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon of your preferred herb blend (I used Penzey's Sunny Paris.)
1 cup (packed) fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Spray oven-safe custard cups with cooking spray (or otherwise grease them.)
3. With electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently stir in cheese, spinach and herbs.
5. Divide between the four cups.
6. With a spoon, create a small well in the center of the egg white mixture.
7. Carefully slide a yolk into each well.
8. Place cups on a baking sheet, and place in oven. Back 10-14 minutes, until the egg white puffs up and browns. The yolk will be hot and thick, but not solid.
Note: in the picture, I topped the egg with a half tablespoon of Greek yogurt. That was unnecessary, and won't be repeated in the future.
Sat fat: 3g
Crumbled bacon and finely shredded sharp cheddar
Shedded Swiss and minced mushrooms
Fresh basil, scallion and Parmesan