Asian Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs
Serves ? (Depends on how many racks you prepare. Plan one per person.)
I made this with a pressure cooker. It cooks faster and creates tender meat. You could do this in the oven by roasting with same liquid, but it will take 2+ hours.
4 racks of beef short ribs
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, mashed and minced
2 tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon Hoisin sauce
8 ounces beer (a lager is best--try Tsing Tao, Kirin or Sapporo)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In the pressure cooker, heat the oil. Season meat.
- Brown on both side. Remove the cooker, set aside.
- Add garlic and ginger to the residual juices, turn the heat to med-high and cook until they get fragrant (1 minute.)
- Add all remaining ingredients. Stir to dissolve. Add meat. Seal and cook 20 minutes according to your pressure cooker's directions.
- After 20 minutes, let the pressure drop naturally.
- If you want, you can take the braising liquid and cook it down (reducing it by half or more) to make a think sauce. (I didn't do that.)
Nutritional data for one rack of ribs:
Sat fat: 8.8g