Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
2 ounces (dry) mushroom blend. I used a blend of porcini, shiitake, oyster and black mushrooms.
8 ounces fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 Vidalia onions, diced
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1/2 cup white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rehydrate mushrooms with one quart boiling water. Let set for 30 minutes or more.
- In a 2-3 quart non-stick sauce pan, preheat over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil.
- Place onions in pan. Cook until beginning to get translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil.
- Add white button mushrooms. Cook until they are beginning to get soft.
- Drain rehydrated mushrooms. SAVE THE JUICE! Squeeze the mushrooms to get them as dry as possible. Add to button mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until they are about half their volume (10 minutes).
- Return onions to mushrooms.
- Measure and add mushroom water to pan. (There should be about 2 cups)
- Add wine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- While the broth returns to a boil, make the roux.
- When the broth boils, stir in the roux. Simmer until the desired thickness.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup skim milk
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan. Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour to make a paste.
- Add Greek yogurt, stir until well mixed.
- Add milk. Stir until smooth. Return to heat over low-medium, just to get it warm.
Sat fat: 7g