12 ounces cod fillets
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
6 cups (9 ounces by weight) baby spinach, torn
1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place fish in a shallow oven-safe dish. Sprinkle with your preferred seasonings (I used Penzey's Sunny Paris and Dill Weed.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or when the fish begins to flake apart. (Start checking for that at 20 minutes.)
- While the fish is baking, preheat a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the panko crumbs. Toss frequently to prevent burning.
- Then the crumbs begin to get toast colored, add the parmesan cheese. Toss to combine and remove from the heat.
- In the last 5 minutes of the fish cooking, heat a large (10-11 inch) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Let it cook for a minute, and then add the spinach. (If you use a smaller skillet, you will need to do half at a time.
- Toss the spinach frequently. You want the spinach to wilt, not fry. This will start slowly at first, but when the leaves start collapsing it will finish quickly.
- Remove the spinach from the heat before all the leaves are wilted. Ideally, only about half the leaves will be soft and wilted when you remove the skillet from the burner. (They will continue to wilt as they sit in the pan.)
- Add half the spinach to each plate. Top with half the panko-parmesan crumbs. Place half the cod on the plate and serve immediately (this is a dish that will not wait for people to come to the table.)
Calories: 250 (179 cod + 71 spinach)
Fat: 7.3g (2 + 5.3)
Sat fat: 1.3g (0.4 + 0.9)
Chol: 124.7mg (124 + 0.7)
Sodium: 263mg (177 + 90)
Carbs: 4.5g (0 + 4.5)
Fiber: 2g (0 + 2)
Protein: 54.9g (51.8 + 3.1)
You can also use haddock, pollack or just about any white fleshed fish
Add crushed red pepper to the spinach
Replace the parmesan cheese with sesame seeds (and replace the olive oil with sesame oil)