1 cup regular (not instant, not steel-cut) oatmeal
1 cup skim milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar
- Soak oatmeal in the milk for 1 hour in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- After the oatmeal is finished soaking, stir in applesauce and egg whites.
- Gently mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir only enough to combine evenly.
- Spray non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Divide batter between cups.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mix over muffins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes (depending on your oven). Muffins are finished baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Sat fat: 0.1g
This muffin is delicious as is, or can be modified as desired.
Alternatives and Options:
Replace applesauce with 1/2 cup mashed banana.
Replace applesauce with 1/2 cup pumpkin.
Add 1/2 cup chopped apples or pears.
Add 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, or other dried fruits.
Add 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries or blackberries.
Add additional spices to the mix (cinnamon, nutmeg and/or allspice would be good.)
If you aren't afraid of higher calories, replace the applesauce with peanut butter.