Sunday, June 24, 2012
Grilled Tomatoes and Eggs
Grilled Tomato and Eggs
Serves 1 (well, maybe two, if you don't eat a lot at breakfast)
1 ripe tomato
1/4 cup hummus (homemade or store bought)
1/2 mashed avocado
1 teaspoon olive oil
Herbs/spices (Your choice. I used Penzy's Sunny Paris, my favorite on eggs)
1. Preheat nonstick griddle over medium-high heat. Spread the teaspoon olive oil.
2. Slice the tomato into 4 slices. Lay on the griddle. Cook, flipping once, for a total of 2-3 minutes. (If you cook them longer, they will just get softer, which is okay, too.)
3. Carefully crack your eggs on to the griddle (if large enough) or in another non-stick skillet. Cook them to your preference.
4. Warm the hummus in the microwave until hot. Scoop onto your plate.
5. Layer tomatoes and eggs next to (or on) the hummus. Add avocado.
Sat fat: 5.7g
I woke up hungry, but not knowing what I wanted to eat. I looked in the fridge and pantry and found these items. I was lucky because yesterday I scored some delicious tomatoes, sweet and ripe, at the local farmer's market.
When I cook I don't really use a recipe, I just put things that I like together. But it also pays to keep certain staples on hand at all times. I always keep eggs, avocados, and hummus on hand, and so I know I am always only a few moments away from a hearty breakfast, high in protein and fat to get my day started. I find that when I have a high protein/ high fat breakfast, I am not as hungry the rest of the day. (And it helps me hit my macronutrient goals of 40-50% of my calories from fat, 25% of my calories from protein and 30-35% of my calories from carbs.)