Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Baked Avocado Fries


Bake Avocado Fries
Serves 2

1 ripe avocado, seeded and sliced into 8 wedges
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon corn meal (but you will only use about 1 teaspoon--the rest just makes it easier to work with.)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Your preferred spices and herbs

  1. Preheat oven to 450. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Mix corn meal with spices (I used garlic powder.)
  3. Mix herbs with panko crumbs (I used dried basil.)
  4. Coat avocado wedges in corn meal.
  5. Whisk egg white and water until lightly frothy. 
  6. Dip each wedge in egg white, one at a time. Roll in panko crumbs and set on prepared cookie sheet.
  7. Baked until browned (16-20 minutes, depending on your oven.)
Serve warm with a sauce or dip. This recipe went well with a ranch salad dressing. 

Development notes:

Special thanks go to Andrew Carpenter for sending me a picture of this recipe. 

Since I had never made this recipe before, I several versions. I also tried a version using a thin Greek yogurt wash (2 tablespoons yogurt with 2 tablespoons milk.) It had no better flavor than the egg wash version, but the egg wash created a better crunch. I also tmade a southwestern style, replacing the garlic powder with chili powder and dried cilantro for the basil. That tasted good with a spicy sauce (I like Sriracha.)

I considered not using the corn meal coating, but I opted to use it because the corn meal coating helps the egg wash stick to the avocado, creating a better crunch. It only adds about 5 calories and 1 gram of carbs to each serving.

Nutritional data:
Calories:     151
Fat:          10.7g
Sat fat:       1.5g
Chol:          0mg
Sodium:    56mg
Carbs:      11.7g
Fiber:         4.9g
Protein:         4g


8 comments:

  1. Made the avocado fries and they were so easy and so delish!! I will make these frequently for a side dish! I could have eaten them for my main meal with some other veggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joni! Thanks for the feedback! Did you make it with southwest seasoning, or more Italian-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try these southwest style with a chipolte ranch dipping sauce! I can't wait! My daughter LOVES Avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what she thinks when you make these. This is a new recipe for me, and I already love them! The next time I make them, I am going to put them on the grill instead of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these today, Danika and I love them! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great feedback! I am glad that you tried them, Rebecca!

      Delete
  6. Next up is the Broiled Egg Stuffed Avocado! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an excellent and unusual breakfast! You will love it!

      Delete