Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Beer Festivals and Frustrations!

Last night, I attended a local beerfest. In case you don't know what that means, in this case it is a fundraiser for the local Jaycees club, held at a the county fairgrounds.  About 30 breweries were in attendance, pouring their beers for the 750 people that paid $35 to drink for four hours.  I was there representing my college, giving away the four beers that my students brewed at a recent beer science seminar.


It was fun.  I drank very little, partly because I needed to drive 40 miles home, and I don't need a drunk driving arrest to add excitement in my life, and partly because I had tasted most of the beers that were available, but mostly because I didn't want to burn my budgeted calories on beer.

Life is a series of choices. I could have chosen to have some beer.  A couple of pints over a four hour session would not have been an arrest concern. And I could have drank those calories because I had room in the budget. But I chose to eat a nice meal after the fest instead of drinking beer.

I have decided that although I have a large budget of calories to "spend" (about 2,500 now that I am at goal) I still only want to spend them on things that are really worth it. I don't want to eat average food, I want food that is delicious. That way, when I log my calories, I know that I am getting good value for the budget.


The beer that I am pouring above was a Scottish 60 Shilling ale. I think it was the best beer that I brought, and it was the first tank that we emptied.

The frustration that I referred to in the title was the fact that I went to the fest wearing my Fitbit, but when I got home it had fallen out of it's holster.  I took the empty holster off my belt when I got home, and that really irritated me. I wear it all the time, and now I need to order a new one. (And for those of you who do not know me, I am as frugal with my money as I am with my calories. I don't like spending either if I don't need to.)

There will be another festival in about six weeks. I'll be pouring at that one too. And I will duct tape my Fitbit to the holster!

No comments:

Post a Comment