Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Shirataki Lo Mein
Makes 3 servings, approximately 2 cups each
2 packages Shirataki (tofu) noodles (8 ounces each)
1 medium onion, sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
6 ounces snow pea pods, chopped
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1-2 tsp fresh gingers, crushed and minced
1. Drain shirataki noodles in a colander. Set aside.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add onions and mushroom, saute until the onions are beginning to get soft. Add pea pods, carrots and the fish sauce. Saute until the carrots are hot but crunchy.
4. Add bean sprouts. Toss to mix. Remove from heat, and set aside in a bowl. Cover to help it stay warm.
5. In the same skillet, reheat the remaining sesame oil. Add the crushed garlic and ginger. Stir for 1 minute.
6. Add the drained shirataki noodles. Toss occasionally for 2-4 minutes.
7. Add noodles to vegetables in bowl. Gently mix together.
Sat fat: 1.3g
Note: If you are concerned about sodium, eliminate the Thai fish sauce. That will reduce the sodium per portion to 42.3mg. However, you will need to add more spices to help bring additional flavor. In that case, double the garlic and ginger, or add Chinese Five Spice blend.