Serves 8 (average 6 ounce portion by weight)
Meals like this are great for cool days, or when you need to feed many people on a budget. It is fast, simple (with a few easy steps) and is a healthy choice. On my podcast, Make Your Someday Today, a common topic regarding health and weight loss is finding meals that taste incredible and are still easy to fit into a calorie budget. This recipe works!
Special equipment: Pressure Cooker
1 chicken (4-5 pounds), cut into 10 pieces (remove the wings from the breast, Cut the breasts in half, separate the drumsticks from the thighs.)
Flour, for dusting the chicken pieces
1 tablespoons cooking oil (canola or olive)
3 strips of bacon, minced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 large (3") potato, peeled and diced
6 ounces baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup dry red wine
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper as needed
- Dust the chicken parts with flour.
- In the pressure cooker, add canola oil and heat the oil until very hot and brown the chicken pieces.
- Remove the chicken to a warm platter.
- Add to the pressure cooker the bacon, onion, garlic, carrot, celery and potatoe, and saute until the onion is wilted.
- Carefully whisk in the 1 tablespoon of flour, then gradually add the wine and stir until thickened and smooth.
- Add the thyme, parsley, bay leaf, salt and pepper, then return the chicken to the pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid in place and bring to pressure, then lower heat and cook for 8 minutes under pressure.
- Allow pressure to drop by the naturally and remove the lid.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
Sat fat: 7.4g
Optional: if you want this creamy, stir in 1/2 cup (5 ounces by weight) plain Greek Yogurt when you add the mushrooms and heat through.
My podcast, Make Your Someday Today is a twice-weekly show, where we talk to successful people in all walks of life and around the world on Monday, and then on Thursday, I take a specific message from the previous guest and give my "Trevitorial", where I help you apply that message to your life. The entire purpose of the show is to help all of us overcome our challenges and fears and become the person we want to be, the person we deserve to be. I hope you give it a listen!