2 quarts apple cider
2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
2 cups kosher salt
1/4 cup black peppercorns
1 tablespoon juniper berries
4 bay leaves
1 cinnamon sticks (3-inch)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
4 quarts dark beer (I am using my own German Rye)
Other needed ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 cup chicken stock
Your preferred seasoning, or a mix of sage, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and ground celery seed.
- Dissolve brine ingredients together. Pour into a large bucket or cooler. Add a thawed turkey and submerge in the brine. (Weight it with a brick if needed to keep it submerged.)
- Keep it cool for 24 hours. When ready to roast, pat dry and place in roaster.
- Melt the butter. Basted the turkey with half the butter. Season it well. Roast at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Baste with remaining butter. Reseason. Turn the oven down to 300F and roast for 30 minutes.
- Baste with 1/2 cup chicken stock. Reseason. Baste once more, about half-way through this roasting period.