Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

You Never Know What Will Happen ...

I've blogged about this before. I frequently donate blood products through my local Red Cross. Usually I give platelets, but sometimes they need plasma and sometimes whole blood. I'm not fussy. Whatever I can give that is most in need is what I will give.

For those of you who have never donated platelets or plasma, you lay in a recliner. They insert one or two needles (usually two) and they draw out the blood. It runs from one arm, through a machine which separates out the products that is being collected and then returns the remaining blood back to the other arm.

This can take a couple hours. I grab a DVD and a portable player and watch a movie. And I relax for a couple hours. But last Friday, as I was just getting ready to watch "Swordfish" (a good John Travolta movie) I noticed a lot of people walking around the facility. A lot of talking. But I was trying to focus on the movie so I tried to ignore it. Suddenly, I felt a hand rest on the back of my recliner and heard a voice above me say,"How are you today?"

I looked up, and after a brief pause, managed to say, "Fine, Mr. Woodson. But more important, how are YOU?"

Yup. Charles Woodson. #21, Pro-Bowl defensive back for the Green Bay Packers was standing over me. He had just delivered a cash donation to the Red Cross for the Sandy relief efforts. He went around to everyone donating and chatted a bit. We all got pictures.

I'm not sure why I have that goofy grin.

Oh, and he answered my question by saying that he is getting better, and expects to be back on the field in a few weeks. Being a nurse, I of course needed to give some advise: "Work with your trainers, but rest your arm when possible. Get healthy, and be 100% when you get back!"

Moral of the story? There is no moral. But please, if you are physically able, make an appointment and give some blood. Even when there are no hurricanes and superstorms, there are always people in your hometown that need blood. And someday, unfortunately, it may be you or a loved one. Help out someone now!

1 comment:

  1. That is AWESOME!!! WWWWWOOOOOOOO HOOOOO for Charles Woodson! And WWWOOOOO HOOOOO for you too. thanks for donating your blood products. It is such an important thing to do.

    ReplyDelete